Michelin Restaurant Struggles After Pufferfish Poisoning

December 4, 2011

A two-star Michelin restaurant in Tokyo had a specialty license to serve pufferfish revoked after a customer became seriously ill after eating at the establishment. Fugu Fukuji, which is located in the upscale area of Ginza, apparently served the 35-year-old customer the toxic liver of the fish per her request. 

The woman began to suffer numbness in her extremities after eating the fish and had to be hospitalized. The chef, Takeshi Yasuge, faces definite fines and possible jail times. Serving pufferfish in Japan is an honor, but chefs require a speciality license to do so. Many parts of the body are toxic, including the liver and skin. 

Michelin does not plan to change the status of the restaurant.

Image Sources: